My go-to smoothie came about when we had a single too-ripe banana lying around, and I couldn’t get myself to eat it – I hate eating overly ripe bananas – its way too mushy for me. But one banana was too little to bake with… what to do?!!?
I blended it up with some kitchen staples and it turned out to be a fantastic drink! There wasn’t even a need for any added sugar or honey since the sweetness from the ripe bananas comes through. The flaxseeds adds additional nutrition – an execellent source of omega 3, full of fiber, lowers cholestrol to name a few. You’ve got your potassium and magnesium from the bananas, your probiotics from the yogurt and calcium from the yogurt and milk. All in all, it’s a delicious drink packed full of nutrition! I secretly wish for ripe bananas at home so I can make more of this now!
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt with a few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Ovaltine or cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Flaxseed (optional)
Put everything in to the blender for 30 seconds – 1 minute (until you see the flaxseeds are broken up – that’s how you release the flaxseed oils and get all the nutrition. Serve and enjoy!
- You can add a teaspoon of honey if you prefer it to be more sweet
- You may also add 5-10 ice cubes into the blender to get a more smoothie/slushie like consistency. .